Vogue’s video series 73 questions has reached the blogging world and I was lucky enough to be tagged by the amazing Naomi @inchingfoward. Thank you girl!! The video series consists of getting a tour around celebrity houses whilst asking that celebrity a series of questions. As you can tell it’s 73, so now it is my turn to answer the questions. I hope you enjoy getting to know a bit more about me!
1. What is your usual Starbucks order? I don’t usually go to coffee shops unless meeting a friend. My husband uses the Starbucks drive through most days and when I am with him he’d order a skinny latte to share with me. I always take a sip of his coffee. I prefer making my own coffee that way I get to enjoy it just the way I like it.
2. What does your workstation look like right now? I don’t have one. I usually sit and work at the table in either the kitchen or dining room. I like to keep a tidy workstation as I hate mess. I find it distracting and will stop what I am doing to clean up. I know I’m a bit weird like that.
3. All time favourite food? I would say define seafood! I grew up near the ocean and always had freshly caught seafood. Anything from fish to prawns and oysters!
4. Favourite author? Honestly I don’t think I have a favourite author. I have not read many books the last couple of years as I have been so focussed on my studies and read mostly university text books. I prefer reading autobiographical books and the last one I read was that of psychologist Stanley Milgram. He wanted to know why people would be so obedient to authority even if it means harming others. I would highly recommend this one!
5. What do you think of open relationships? It is definitely not for me, however do whatever tickles your fancy. I don’t judge. What works for one may not work for another.
6. Favourite video game? I don’t have one. I never played video games as a child. Growing up in Africa I preferred running around and playing in the wide open spaces. I recently played fifa with my son and I sucked so bad he tried to make me feel better by saying 34% possession is good for me! Yeah I laughed at that one too. Bless him.
7. Guilty pleasure treat? That depends on the season. I’d always have a bit of cheese cake all year, but winter time I prefer a warm sticky toffee pudding.
8. Favourite film? Definitely Ps: I love you. Yes I know it’s a chick flick, but I still love it.
9. Favourite book? If I have to pick I’d say it was definitely Nelson Mandela’s A long walk to freedom.
10. Twitter or Instagram? Both. I enjoy both, but in terms of engagement with genuinely nice people twitter takes the crown!
11. Desktop or laptop? Defined a laptop. I love my MacBook.
12. Best advice you’ve ever received? One of my primary school teachers told me ‘respect goes a long way’ after he rewarded me for good behaviour. That is something I try to encourage in my kids as respect for oneself and others makes the world a much better place.
13. What project are you working on right now? Working on myself. Can that be a project? 🤣 I am working away on my blog finding ways to expand it a little bit. I have a few irons in the fire as I have been approached by Winnie’s picks to be an affiliate, a small makeup business and a wrist watch company also approached me to work with them. So a few things happening for right now. Starting a new job as a self employed contractor in the financial industry.
14. Favourite colour? Pink! Definitely pink! I love the colour. It makes me feel really happy and cheerful. Usually during spring and summer I wear a lot of bright clothing as I just love colours, but pink is my favourite.
15. Did you get good grades at school? Why yes I did. I was the one who walked away with all the awards and needless to say I wasn’t very popular.
16. Dream job? I would love to be a therapist and published author. I know not very imaginative but hey that’s my dream.
17. Played any sports? Yes! I played every sport my school had to offer apart from rugby. I was much better at tennis and represented my province touring around my country playing against other players from around Africa.
18. Do you have a degree? Yes I do. I have a bachelors degree in Drama and writing and I am currently working on my second degree. I’m studying a Bsc Honours degree in Psychology with counselling.
19. Nationality? British and South African. I am lucky enough to have dual nationality.
20. What is your favourite kind of blog post to do? I enjoy blogging about my personal journey. Giving a personal account of my experiences is what I enjoy most.
21. What do you like to collect? I collect shoes. Just today I purchased two more pairs! You’re probably wondering if I wear them all and the answer is yes!
22. Describe yourself in 3 words? Loyal, passionate and helpful. I really enjoy helping people and once I’ve gained your trust I am the most loyal friend.
23. If you were a rapper what would your rapper name be? I don’t think I would ever be a rapper, but if I have to pick a name it would probably be something to do with being shoe obsessed loyal friend.
24. Who was the last person you dmed? It was Sam, a fellow blogger who I have formed a great friendship with. We even met up in Wales a few weeks ago.
25. What’s on the top of your wish list right now? I’d love to settle into my job quickly. Going back to the corporate rat race in a couple of days, so settling in and working with great people is on top of my wish list right now.
26. Hogwarts House? griffindor definitely
27. How many tattoos do you have? I have two tattoos. One on my back which is a Claymore ( like the one used by William Wallace) embedded in a rock with the protea ( South African National flower) wrapped around it. It’s something of my new country and something of my first. A little sentimental. My second tattoo is a little love heart on the side of my bottom. ( is that oversharing ?)
28. What are you most grateful for this year? There are so many things I am grateful for. I feel very blessed, but I think what I am most grateful for is that my son managed to get unit an amazing private school that we have been in contact with since he was four years old. I am also very grateful for my recovery and how far I have come on my mental health journey.
29. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this month? Getting a new job. I am starting as a self employed contractor within the financial industry again. I am excited and nervous and just hoping for the best.
30. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you today? Today it was being able to have an amazing family breakfast dining outside enjoying the lovely sunshine.
31. What’s the best thing ever? Getting hugs and kisses from my two boys.
32. Favourite season? Summer and autumn. I just love the beautiful colours of the flowers in my garden during summer and the falling leaves in the autumn as it reminds me of Stellenbosch.
33. Favourite holiday? Christmas. It has never been, but that changed when I had my kids. We decorate our house inside and out. I always get a huge Christmas tree and have lights outside. Reindeer pulling a sleigh, an inflatable polar bear, Santa, penguins you name it I have it.
34. Which fictional character do you relate to most. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. She’s smart, kind and always helping Harry and the gang.
35. Do you like surprises? Yes! I love surprises. Well, only good ones.
36. What’s the biggest surprise you ever got? A huge diamond ring from my husband for our 6 year wedding anniversary.
37. What’s a surprise that’s made you cry? I don’t think I have ever had a surprise that made me cry and I certainly hope I never get to experience that.
38. What’s the best surprise you’ve ever given anyone? I think this was arranging a surprise baby shower for my friend who was expecting her first baby at the time.
39. Do you like muffins? I love muffins! In the UK I eat blueberry or lemon muffins, but when I visit South Africa I only eat the bran muffins. They are amazing with a little jam and cheese! Wish I could get bran muffins here. Might just have to bake myself some now as this has me drooling now!
40. Do you cook often? I cook most days, however I’m not very good at it. I always burn my food and currently this week I’ve had three full days without burning dinner! I feel sorry for my husband and kids who eats the food regardless of the fact that I burnt it. I am a lot better at baking! I never burn cakes.
41. What’s your favourite dessert? Oh I would always prefer a cheese board for dessert!
42. Is there a dessert you don’t like?Please don’t hate me, but I do not like apple pie. I cannot stand it.
43. Cake or pie? Oh it is definitely cake! Yes cake all the way.
44. What’s your least favourite food? I absolutely cannot stand Brussels sprouts! Hate them with a passion. Yeah I never use the word gage unless faces with that’s good!
45. What’s your favourite condiment? It depends hugely on what’s on offer but I do like strawberry jam.
46. It’s 4am on a Saturday night, what would you eat? This solely depends on where I am. If I am in South Africa it would definitely be a king steer burger and chips from the fast food chain Steers. If it is in the UK it would be a chicken or lamb kebab with garlic sauce. This would also be after I questioned that the meat was actually what they say it is. I know I’m a little nuts like that.
47. If you could teach a college class what would it be called? I’m not sure what it would be called but if could teach a class if would be on fighting stigmas around mental health and acceptance of it.
48. Best animated film? I absolutely love Peter Pan.
49. What had a guy done or said to impress you? When my husband and I first met, he waited up all night for me to arrive. I was travelling through the night on a bus to the village where I grew up and he happened to be there. He sat up till around 3 am then collected me and we went for drinks on the beach watching the sunrise. It was magical!
50. Best thing to do on a first date? Just be yourself. Don’t try too hard to impress someone and therefore create great expectations.
51. Worst thing to do on a first date? Talking about politics and insulting your date.
52. What’s the funniest pickup line a guy can use on a girl? Honestly I have no clue. I’ve been married that long I forgot pickup lines existed.
53. Best comic book character? This one will have to be Super girl for me.
54. What are the three things that are always in your purse? My phone, keys and wallet/purse.
55. Favourite drink? I love water and coffee, but if it’s alcohol it is Moët &Chandon champagne. It is my favourite champagne.
56. If you could play an historical character who would it be? It would be the Ancient Egyptian Queen Nefertiti. When I was a student I decided to take the module ancient studies and just loved learning about ancient Egypt and Greece. I am a bit addicted to learning as I am always finding something else to learn. This year I would love to learn another language.
57. Kittens or puppies? Puppies for me. I love dogs and I have two already. I would love to have a teacup Pomeranian so if you’re reading this and know a breeder please get in contact!
58. Favourite sushi roll? I love sushi. California rolls are yummy.
59. What kind of lipstick do you use? Right now I’m in love with Matt effect lipstick. I have a few in red, purple and nude. I have been lucky enough to be asked to be a brand ambassador for someone doing makeup via Instagram so will be getting a lovely Matt lip butter to try out! I am so excited about it and will be doing a review of the products.
60. What kind of foundation do you use? I have Chanel foundation.
61. Blow dry it air dry? It depends on how much time I have, I do prefer to blow dry, but I don’t always to prevent too much heat damage.
62. Who is your fashion icon? I have always loved late Princess Diana’s style and I also like Victoria Beckham’s sense of style.
63. Favourite Disney character? Ever since I was a little girl I have always loved Donald Duck. My husband and I took our kids to Disneyland Paris a few weeks ago and he waited over two hours to meet Donald Duck! We didn’t wait for any other character, but we waited for Donald and I’m so happy my youngest loves Donald too.
64. What are you doing tomorrow? Right now I I haven’t a clue, but I will probably have to pick what I am wearing and prepare for my first day back in the finance world.
65. Movie you laughed the hardest through? It’s not a movie, but the uk sitcom Gavin and Stacey and Mrs browns boys always has me hysterically laughing.
66. Movie that made you cry? Ps: I love you. I sob every time I watch that movie. It just tugs on the heart strings
67. If you could sing a duet with someone who would it be? I would love to duet with the boy band Westlife. Yes I know what you’re thinking, but I love them I went to concerts and still own every single cd of theirs.
68. If your life was a song what would the title be? Oh I think this one would have to be girl on fire by Alecia Keys. That song just motivates so much and it awakens the desire to succeed each time I listen to it.
69. What’s your favourite animal? Apart from dogs, I do love elephants and lions. In fact I love all animals. I have so many bird feeders in my garden and I am a member of the RSPB giving nature a home project. I make sure the flowers I plant will attract bees and I even leave food out for the butterflies too.
70. Favourite illustrator? I haven’t got a clue. I am honestly not really very knowledgeable on art at all.
71. Person you want to have coffee with? I would’ve loved to have a coffee with Nelson Mandela.
72. What’s a country you wish to visit? There are so many. I recently ticked quite a few off my bucket list. We went on a road trip through Europe and I really enjoyed it. I would love to visit the Maldives and the Seychelles.
73. Best way to decompress? For me this is definitely a run on my treadmill followed by a hot bubble bath. I have a bubble bath every evening and I find it very relaxing and a great place to reflect on my day.
I hope you enjoyed reading this and getting to know me a little bit. My nominees are :
Jen ( @writingwithpride)
Sam ( @therunningmama)
I’m looking forward to reading your answers and getting to you know you all a little bit more.